Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Huli-Huli Chicken

**Update- Holly from Hawaii left an excellent comment for this post giving some great tips for making this chicken! I wanted to call this recipe “Huli-Huli Chicken (fail)” but I thought that was a bit too harsh. This recipe isn’t inedible or terrible, it just wasn’t that great and the flavors resembled my Chicken KaChow… but KaChow is much better! I got the recipe from Ezra Pound Cake and it looked so good on the website but we won't make it again, hence the “fail”. Justin doesn’t understand why I would even post a disappointing recipe, but to me this blog is as much about my cooking adventures as it is about recipes. Is every recipe I try a winner? No, not even close! So on night’s like tonight when we all try to eat something that didn’t turn out very good it makes us appreciate the “good recipe” nights even more!

Ingredients
1 chicken, quartered (I used 4 chicken breasts)
1/2 cup shoyu or soy sauce
1/2 cup pureed pineapple chunks
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/8 cup rice vinegar
1 finger ginger, finely grated
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions
In a medium bowl combine the soy sauce, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic and Worcestershire. Pour half the mixture into a large resealable plastic bag with the chicken. Set aside remaining marinade for mopping chicken during cooking. Refrigerate chicken for 30 minutes. Ezra's original recipe suggests that the chicken be smoked but it was too cold outside so I baked my chicken in the leftover marinade at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes.

9 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

Personally, I'm thrilled you are posting "won't make again" recipes. It sure saves me a lot of headache!

Donna-FFW said...

Hi Carrie- Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love your spot here!! Sorry the recipe didnt work out, sounds great though! I am going to follow you, :)Nice to meet you!

Holly Gospitefully said...

Hi Carrie,
I grew up in Hawaii and I have to say that this is actually a really good recipe. The trick to it is that it really needs to be cooked on the grill. If you must use the oven it would probably work best if the chicken was placed on a baking pan and basted every 10 minutes. The skin should be crispy so baking it in the marinade probably wouldn't work very well. If you get the chance try it again on the grill.

Carrie said...

Holly, thank you so much for the tips! Seriously!!

I am going to try it again on the grill, it got great reviews from Ezra so I am not surprised that it's actually a good recipe... I seem to find a way to mess good recipes up. Thank you again! :-)

KathyM said...

Hi Carrie,
When I saw the marinade I was thinking grill and not oven! Holly is right about grilling. I used to make kabobs with chicken breasts and rib-eye steak. I would marinate in Italian dressing lightly sprinkled with garlic powder. (You gotta throw bite size onion and bell peppers, fresh button mushrooms, pineapple chunks into the marinade too.) But after a couple of hours in the sauce...put them on the kabob skewers and put on the grill and YUM! One day it rained so I threw it all in the oven on broiler pan and it was NOT good! Huli Hulli sounds good to me...if grilled! Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

I would agree with Holly. I, too, grew up in Hawaii, and this recipe looks pretty good, but the key is to grill it. In Hawaii, they useda native wood from the kiawwe tree, but mesquite is pretty close.

Try it again - it is too good to miss out on.

AdornmentsbyMilani.com said...

Yes, it is definitely for cooking on the grill and also, increase the marinating time to at least several hours. I'm sure that it will be ono next time you try.

www.webhablada.es said...

Thanks for this article, pretty helpful piece of writing.

joomla developers said...

Really intelligent piece of writing buddy, keep it up and I will keep tweeting your blog posts for you so you can get the readers you deserve!