Thursday, April 9, 2009

Poor Man’s Lobster

Even though we try not to go out to restaurants any more we still go out on birthdays. For the boys' birthdays they usually want crab from Red Lobster, they gobble up crabmeat faster than Justin and I can shell it for them! So when I heard of this recipe I thought it might be a hit with my crab eaters. Everyone seemed to like it but me… it was weird for me to eat. It really did taste like crab/lobster but I knew it was fish and I saw it boil, so my mind was too confused to let my taste buds enjoy it. I couldn’t convince Andrew to choose this dinner for his upcoming birthday instead of going to Red Lobster but he said he definitely wants me to make it again.

Ingredients
1 to 1 1/2 pounds of your favorite white fish
2 quarts water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
1 lemon
Melted butter (sweet cream works great)

Directions
In a pot bring the water, sugar, and salt to a boil. Cut the fish into 2-3 large chunks (so it cooks faster) and add to water. Boil for about 10 minutes or until fish is nice and flaky. In the meantime, melt butter in small dipping bowls. Remove fish from water, squeeze a little fresh lemon on it and serve with the melted butter (I like to completely submerge my fish in the melted butter, much like you would do with crab/lobster).

6 comments:

Kathy said...

I might have to try this since I'm allergic to Lobster!!! Thanks for sharing!

Coleens Recipes said...

This is a very good recipe. Halibut is plentiful here in Alaska and we cook halibut this way to get the lobster taste.

Donna-FFW said...

What a fantastic idea.. I will have to try this soon.. I love lobster only have it on special occassions..

comprar un yate said...

I consider every person should read this.

Anonymous said...

Just tried this! Sooooo good!

Claire said...

Not gonna lie: I just looked at the ingredients list and went by that, completely ignoring the directions. What I ended up doing was adding the sugar, butter, and salt directly to the fish afterwards. Still fooled my taste buds! If I didn't know any better, I would've thought it was crab.