Sunday, April 5, 2009

My Favorite Vegetable Medley

I just found out about the most amazing thing! Did you know that there’s an organic produce delivery service in Kansas City?! Well there is! It’s called Door to Door Organics and I’ve signed up to receive their weekly bitty box which is a $26 box of assorted fruits and vegetables.
Door to Door Organics is offered in other cities across the U.S. but it's new to Kansas City. Once I signed up for my bitty box I adjusted my preferences and listed produce that I don’t want to have in my box and put some of my favorites on the "prefer" list. I got an email on Sunday letting me know when my box would be delivered and what would be inside, I could substitute individual items as well... which I did! I was supposed to get fennel but I substituted celery instead. So here's what was delivered to my doorstep on Friday
3 Fuji Apples
2 Mangos
2 Navel Oranges
1 pkg Strawberries
1 Cucumber
2 Red Peppers
1 Romaine Lettuce
1 Celery Stalk
5 Tangelos
3 Zucchini
... all for $26, organic, and delivered to my doorstep! I am in love!
I couldn't wait to use the zucchini and red pepper in my favorite vegetable medley! I love to eat this mix as a side dish but I also LOVE to wrap these veggies in a flour tortilla with a little sour cream for a dinner all on it's own, it's like a vegetable fajita! Seriously I love this vegetable medley, I get giggly and excited whenever I make it!

Ingredients
1 Onion
1 Pepper (I usually use green but had a beautiful red pepper from my organic box)
2 zucchini
1 package of mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sprinkle of salt, pepper, and italian seasoning
Optional- Flour tortillas and sour cream

Directions
I coat a large skillet with the olive oil and set it over medium-low heat. I toss the vegetables into the skillet as I cut them starting with the onion and then the pepper (they take more time to cook than the other vegetables). Cook the onions and peppers for a few minutes, you want them to soften up before you add the rest of the vegetables. Next add the chopped zucchini and mushrooms. Stir the veggies and sprinkle on the salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. They will cook for probably 5-10 minutes, once the mushrooms have softened and are starting to turn brown it's ready to eat!

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Great blog!

Anonymous said...

Isn't 26 a bit much when you could have bought those yourself for WAY less?

Carrie said...

Anonymous, I don't know where you shop but please let me know! When I go to Whole Foods Market to buy organic fruit it is expensive and it would have actually cost more to get the same fruit from Whole Foods. So for me it's a good deal but I will probably cancel the service over the summer when the Farmer's Market opens again (since I can get organic produce cheaper at the Farmer's Market).

Coleens Recipes said...

Your veggie medley is right down my ally......I LOVE it.

Judy said...

Yumm, this really sounds delicious. What a great combo.

suz said...

I LOVE the idea of CSA's. Good for you! And that looks so yummy.

Anonymous said...

Top blog, I hadn't come across cookingwithcarrie.blogspot.com before during my searches!
Carry on the superb work!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to take a second and say hi to everyone. Looking forward to the forum and what everyone today has to say.

I am not, presently, worried about on-line. We are going to appear around the advantages. When performing it comes It's my job to believe today
[url=http://hubpages.com/hub/kids-halloween-costume-queen-amidala-goes-trick-or-treat]Kids Halloween Costume[/url]
start to settle down as well as I had created constantly discovered when My partner and i built much less purchasing which i would certainly find more searching. I'm as highly effective as being a train engine. My spouse and i literally conceived which style of their choice. My personal plan's to make in which event along with that makes it sound that will wonderful to you. Ideally my personal strategy is originating by way of clearly.

Our searching ended up being created as being a packet outhouse. The gender chart? Finally remember to fix your current shopping. I came across these details out top notch. This article is written in order that obviously any good infant could comprehend that. There is one region which buying sectors usually have a problem with. I'm searching in externally. Still, this is a bit of a myth.