Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Zucchini Bread

I got zucchini in my Door to Door Organics co-op box this week and I was determined to get Justin and the boys to eat some. I made this bread and surprise-surprise they loved it! It was very addictive because we ate an entire loaf in 1 day!
My life could be a sitcom, remember how I called myself frugal in my previous post? Well, last night Justin said we couldn’t spend anymore money until Friday. I said “no problem honey, you can count on me, I won’t spend a penny”. Well…. I stayed home sick today with an awful sore throat and I had to go to the doctor-$20, the doctor gave me an antibiotic-$10, the boys each had a note from school saying their lunch account was empty-$50, and my van was out of gas- $40! That’s $120 I spent today after promising my husband I wouldn’t spend any money until Friday. Lol, he’s going to kill me!

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (or 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce for a healthier version)
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini (3 small zucchini or 2 large zucchini)
1 cup chopped walnuts (we don’t like walnuts so I leave them out)

Directions
Beat the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and mix together, the dough will be very thick and sticky. Mix in the zucchini and walnuts, the water from the zucchini will add the much needed moisture to the batter. Bake in two greased 8 x 4 inch pans at 325 degrees for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

3 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Carrie- This sounds like a terrific quick bread. I will save this recipe for my garden zucchini..

Coleens Recipes said...

Yummmm, thanks for the recipe!

Carrie Burns said...

My whole family enjoyed this. I love when I am able to find good recipes and articles on line. I get most of mine on Wacanai.com ( http://www.wacanai.com/intro ). They have really great searching capabilities and a lot of good articles. People link their own page to wacania so you can find some other great sites too. You should think about posting this article on it, I think a lot of people would enjoy it.