Friday, April 3, 2009

Cream Puffs and Eclairs


It’s amazing; I used to begrudgingly make these because I thought they were so time consuming and difficult, so when Chad requested them I was filled with dread. I was surprised how easy they were to make though, not at all what I remember. I’ve been making lots of Perfect Party Cakes and Chocolate Tortes and that’s time consuming (4 hours in the kitchen)! These really aren’t very difficult to make and they are the best cream puffs and eclairs I’ve ever had!

Ingredients
Cream Puff/Eclair Dough
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cream Puff/Eclair Cream Filling
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant white chocolate pudding mix
1-cup heavy cream
½ cup milk
Ganache
1 cup of milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream

Directions
I start with the filling because it needs to rest in the fridge, so in a medium bowl mix together white chocolate instant pudding mix, cream and milk. Mix until the consistency of cool whip. Cover and refrigerate to set for at least 30 minutes.Now for the dough! In a large pot, bring water and butter to a rolling boil. Stir in flour and salt until the mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat and stir for 1-3 minutes to cool. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Grease a cookie sheet (or cover the cookie sheet with non-stick foil like I do) and drop by tablespoonfuls onto it. Drops should be the size of gumballs and as big around as a quarter. If drops are too big the middles will not be dry after baking. I have found it best to use a small melon scoop to drop dough or to put the dough in a decorating bag (or Ziploc) and pipe out the small dough drops onto the cookie sheet. If you want to make Eclairs then instead of making a small circle you will draw a line. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 425 degrees in a preheated oven, until golden brown. Centers should be dry (I’ve never had trouble with moist centers, this is a good recipe).When the puffs are cool, fill a decorating bag (that has a decorating tip) with the cream filling. You need a decorating tip of some sort to help you poke into the puff. I pick the puff (or Eclair) up and inspect it for a small hole or crease, then I poke my tip into the weak spot/hole and pipe the cream filling in.
You can sprinkle them with powdered sugar or dip them in ganache (it’s so yummy)! To make the ganache combine the milk chocolate chips and heavy cream in a bowl. Microwave for 15 second increments, stirring after each 15 seconds to see if it’s melted.

7 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

These look BEAUTIFUL!! SOOOOO tasty looking.

Donna-FFW said...

Carrie- These look amazing. I have got to try them. I love boht and I would love to try my hand at making them.. awesome job, sincerely, perfect!!

The Food Librarian said...

Oh, I love love cream puffs. They look fantastic.

Amber said...

I would've never thought I could make these but you have inspired me. I always pig out on them at parties but never buy them in the stores..now I can make them at home. Thanks for sharing! Great pics!

Anonymous said...

Don't know what went wrong, but these suckers deflated on the cooling rack and had a horrible eggy-tasting bottom though they were all definitely cooked through.

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem as the previous poster. These things deflated and had a horrible eggy taste to them. I couldnt even get them off of my baking sheet without them collapsing. I think you need to rethink this recipe.. I wasted a ton of cooking stuff trying this 3 times (in two different ovens).

Anonymous said...

I tried this the other night, and used margarine. That was a no-go. Tonight I used real butter. That was the ticket. They are perfect! Cant wait to get them filled :)