Monday, March 2, 2009

Marshmallow Graham Dessert

This recipe is from the Taste of Home Cookbook and I couldn’t wait to make it! It was right down my alley because unlike my husband I am not a fan of rich chocolaty desserts (blasphemy to him, I know). I love light desserts with fruit flavors, yum yum! This dessert was very good and the filling was like a foam, it was so fluffy! I was a little worried at first because the filling was very thin but after being in the refrigerator overnight it set-up beautifully. The boys didn’t like the pineapple so I think next time I might try frozen, sweetened strawberries instead!

Ingredients
1 package (16 ounces) marshmallows
2 cups milk
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
2 cups whipping cream, whipped
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions
In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, melt marshmallows and milk. Remove from the heat. Cool in the freezer or fridge for 5-19 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in extract. Fold in pineapple and whipped cream. Combine cracker crumbs and butter. Press 1-1/2 cups into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Spread with the pineapple mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture. Refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving.

7 comments:

suz said...

That looks delicious!! I love marshmallows.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this dessert, my mom used to make it for my birthday insted of cake..it was my favorite, but she did add chopped walnuts to the marshmellow mixture, and it added a bit of crunch and lots of flavor. I Had lost the recipe..so again..THANK YOU

Anonymous said...

Yummy, Im going to make it now.. thanks

Anonymous said...

I assume you drain pineapple?? Sounds sooo yummy!

A.Parker, So Excited! said...

So I am obviously a late night dessert maker lol. Came across this dessert looking for something relativly simple with ingredients I already have. So far so good. I just put it in the fridge to set overnight. I don't know what I'm more excited about, making and indulging in the scrumotious looking dessert, or the fact that just hand whipped my own whipped cream for the first time. No matter the outcome, thank you Carrie for posting this recipe. I am a new subscriber to you. Will post results tomorrow.

A.Parker, So Excited! said...

Carrie this turned out amazing!!! This is not going to last the whole day in this house. Awesome. Thanks again!

Bev said...

This has been a family favorite for 50 years. We add chopped maraschino cherries and black walnuts