Tuesday, March 24, 2009

100th Blog Post!!

This is my 100th blog post, woot woot! This is what my blog looked like in the beginning, before Justin redesigned it for me last year!

When my boys were little I was so busy going to college, starting my teaching career, and then going to college again for my masters; dinner would be something from the frozen or canned aisles at the supermarket. I've posted off and on since 2007, and what started as a fun hobby and a way to motivate myself to cook more... has become so much more! I have grown to love cooking and it has become a part of me! We used to go out to restaurants regularly, but I couldn't even tell you the last time we went to a restaurant; it's been months! What we have now is so special to me I couldn't imagine missing it to go out to a restaurant. We eat dinner at our kitchen table almost every night as a family and sometimes neighborhood kids come in to join us as well. We have a revolving door at our house as the boy's friends come and go but I know they enjoy the food because they are often asking for baggies to take some home, it makes me smile. I try out 2-3 new recipes a week so the boys always run into the kitchen to see what I am making, help stir, and lick spoons. Dinner is exciting because we are trying a new recipe or enjoying one of our favorites, we're all smiles as we giggle and tell stories. So after 3 years and 100 blog posts I thought I would share each of our favorite dinners...

Justin- Mexican Corn Chicken Chowder
I made this soup for the first time last fall and Justin fell in love. He loves when I make it on Sunday and he eats it all week long. My mother-in-law tried to make it once and substituted some of the ingredients but it wasn't as good (sorry Trish), so you must follow the ingredients exactly for it to turn out correctly. Justin will actually giggle as he warms up a bowl in the microwave, crumble tortilla chip on the top, and take his first bite... with a smile spread across his face ear to ear.

Carrie- Grandma's Chicken and Noodles
This has been my favorite dinner since I was a kid, I would request it every birthday. My grandma would make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, so when we eat it for dinner it feels like a treat! Thick, homemade noodles in a chicken gravy that's poured over a dollop of mashed potatoes... Mmm yum yum!

Andrew- Chinese Chicken and Rice
This is Andrew's favorite! He will do chores and back flips for me if he knows this dinner is coming up! Andrew is a picky eater and is very skeptical of trying new things so I remember when I made this the first time he was surprised and thrilled how much he enjoyed it. He loves the spicy flavor I add to the Chinese brown sauce. He would be a happy camper if I made this dinner every night!

Abbott- Baked Chicken, Creamy Mashed Potatoes, and Gravy
I haven't posted "baked chicken" because it is too simple (chicken breasts sprinkled with salt and pepper, covered in foil, and cooked in the oven). I call this "salt and pepper chicken" but Abbott has always called it "white chicken". It's so cute because anytime I say "we're having chicken for dinner" he will excitedly ask "White chicken?"! This is Abbott's absolute favorite chicken and favorite potatoes, and he eats massive amounts! Normally Abbott picks at his dinner only eating a couple bites so when I say massive I mean 2 chicken breasts and 3 cups of creamy mashed potatoes smothered in chicken gravy... then he will come back for dessert potatoes later in the evening! Abbott is only 7, I don't know where he puts it!

I am still amazed that anyone would want to read my blog! Thank you to everyone who has stopped by over the years to say hello, offer me recipes, and give me feedback! If you click the visitor locations map located on the right column of my blog you can see the countries my visitors live in. I only added the visitors map a couple months ago but since December 2008, I've had 3,426 visitors from 66 different countries! It is humbling and flattering all at the same time! Thank you for joining me on this cooking adventure, I can't wait to get started on my next 100 posts ! :-D

6 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

Quite a milestone!! I thoroughly enjoy visiting your page every day. I think I'll have to try your gramma's chicken and noodles, it sounds wonderful.

suz said...

Congrats on such a fantastic and thriving blog! I know I love reading it :)

Judy said...

Congratulations Carrie on your 100th post. I remember when my children were little and we lived on the farm. We always raised a big garden and had fresh vegetables for many different recipes. We always ate together every night, too. Your children will always remember those nights around the dinner table and all your great recipes. Mine still talk about it!

Sweet Cheeks said...

Yeah! My gosht that is cool. Isn't is awing to see where in the world people find you from. That is my favorite part!!

The Food Librarian said...

Congrats on your 100th post. I so enjoy your blog and your creative, creative creations!!!

Anonymous said...

signed to your rss