Monday, August 10, 2009

Cheese Omelet

I work with the spunkiest gal named Samantha, I love her! Way back in December we were talking about food, I had just posted a recipe where I mentioned my inability to make omelets. Sam explained how she makes omelets and convinced me that it isn't difficult. That conversation planted a seed, so I started reading up and watching videos of people making omelets. Well... I've been making omelets for months now. I can't believe we lived without them for so long! I usually just add cheese since that's what my boys like. If you want to add veggies I suggest that you saute them before adding them to the omelet, I add my sauteed veggies at the same time I add my cheese. Before I get to explaining the directions lets talk pans. I have these awesome stainless steel pans but they are useless for omelets, the egg permanently fuses to the pan! You have to use a non-stick pan! My mother-in-law got me a square pan from Walmart for my birthday and it has become my "omelet pan", it works great but a non-stick circle pan would work well too!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
2 large eggs
salt and pepper
Cheese, whatever kind you like!

Directions
Set you stove to medium heat, don't go above medium or the eggs will get that yucky brown crust! Melt the butter in your pan and spread it around so that the entire pan (including corners) is greased. Scramble your two eggs together in a bowl. Pour the eggs in the middle of the pan... ...then pick up the pan and roll the eggs around to the corners so that the entire pan is covered. Now leave it alone and let it cook, it will take around 2-5 minutes. You will know it's ready when the eggs shrink away from the sides of the pan and you touch the eggs and can't find any raw liquid. Sprinkle the eggs with salt, pepper, and your cheese. I fold in the sides first. Then, I just start rolling the eggs up like a burrito. It really is easy, I don't know why I spent years cowering at the thought of making an omelet.

10 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

Looks like you've got it down perfectly! Great step by step instructions.

Katy ~ said...

Very well done; I am so proud of you. I learned to make my omelets the same way by watching the cafeteria ladies where I work make omelets to order. WE eat omelets a couple times a month here' always a good breakfast choice. Good step by step photos!!

(p.s. You made me smile BIG about your plate finds!!)

Mom said...

I am so lucky! I got to experience Carrie's first zucchini, onion and cheese omelet! One for the books!

Donna-FFW said...

Wow!! What a great way to make an omelet!! Never tried it that way.

Coleens Recipes said...

What an excellent omelet lesson! I've always just folded them in half with boring success.....I totally love your way to fold them. I'm stealing the idea!! Thanks.

Amber said...

I've never seen them made like this! Great idea! I am thinking...sausage, peppers, ect to go inside and you have a breakfast burrito on the go!

Palidor said...

That's such a cute pan. I love eggs and cheese. I usually get carried away with the cheese and end up with half cheese, half eggs. :)

Karine said...

This omelet looks great! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Marianna said...

I have trouble making my omelet what a great idea using the griddle pan. I can't wait to try it.

flytouch 3 said...

The guy is totally just, and there is no skepticism.