Saturday, August 15, 2009

Blueberry Cobbler

Blueberries were on sale at the supermarket this week! I excitedly put some in our cart and asked Justin if he wanted blueberry pancakes, blueberry muffins, or blueberry cobbler. With his eyes half-closed and smiling, Justin said “Mmmm, blueberry cobbler…”! I could have made this recipe in a pie plate, but what fun is that?! I love using these individual ramekins that I got on sale at target for a dollar... A DOLLAR!!

Blueberry Filling Ingredients
1 carton of fresh blueberries (around 1 and 1/2 cups of blueberries)
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup water
Biscuit Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk

Directions
Add all of the ingredients for the blueberry filling into a large skillet. Boil the berries over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the mixture has thickened a little. Meanwhile, combine all the dry ingredients for the biscuits. Using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Add the milk to the dry mixture to form a soft biscuit dough. The consistency is pretty forgiving, a slightly too-soft or too-firm dough won’t make a difference in the final product. As long as it holds together, but is soft enough to break apart into clumps, you’re good to go. You can just break the dough into clumps but I was just standing around waiting on the blueberries so I went ahead and cut mine. For one large cobbler:
Pour the blueberry filling into a pie plate. Break the biscuit dough up into small, bite-sized pieces. Place the pieces on top of the hot berries. Place in the oven to bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

For individual cobblers:
Transfer blueberry filling to individual ramekins or gratin dishes, filling only half-full (I was only able to get 3 ramekins out of the filling). Add biscuit mixture on top. Place all the cobblers on a baking sheet (this will help you take them out of the oven with burning yourself). Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, serve warm.
Here’s what my individual cobblers looked like before baking... ... and here it is after baking! These are great just as they are, but you can also serve them with some ice cream if you want. I could barely get a picture snapped before digging in! I wish you could smell this! Oh yeah, it was delicious!

8 comments:

Katy ~ said...

I do not have any ramekins; I now need ramekins!! And just as much if not more, some of that fabulous cobbler. I love how you cut out the biscuits. Well done!!!!

Barbara Bakes said...

What a fabulous dessert! Wish I'd been at Target when they were on sale for $1!

Marge said...

YUM!!! Note to self....'BUY RAMEKINS!'

Coleens Recipes said...

ramekins for a dollar? What a score!! Your blueberry cobbler looks delicious!!!

Palidor said...

Wow, great deal on the ramekins! I love a bargain. The cobbler looks soooooo good.

Donna-FFW said...

Loving the looks of that cobbler. What a steal on the ramekins!

Amber said...

Love the blue nail polish with the blueberry cobbler! Too cute...I can't believe you got the ramekins for 1$! Lucky!

Marianna said...

That looks so comforting good!