Friday, August 21, 2009

Individual Potato Gratins

This has been a long, hard week and our dinners have suffered (it was our first full week of school)! We had frozen pizza and fast food all week except for these beauties with some BBQ chicken! This recipe is from Melissa d'Arabian, winner of The Next Food Network Star. I am a sucker for food based reality TV like The Next Food Network Star and Top Chef! Don't let the picture fool you, this is an awesome recipe!! I forgot to invert the gratins onto the plate so mine don't look very appealing but they were fantastic! Not to mention, you only need two potatoes to make 6 individual gratins! Don't count on each person only eating one though, we each had 2 and the boys came back and devoured the leftovers later that evening!

Ingredients
Vegetable spray
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese (or a different cheese if you prefer)
2 green onions, finely chopped (I omitted these)
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream (I didn't have any cream so I used butter)

Directions
Spray 6 muffin tins with vegetable spray. Layer potato slices and cheese into each muffin cup. Season with salt and pepper and top each gratin with 1 or 2 tablespoons of heavy cream (or in my case 1/2 tablespoon butter). Cover with foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 375 degrees, removing the foil halfway through cooking time. Invert gratins onto plate and serve.

10 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Carrie, I am absolutely mad for this idea! Oh my gosh! Definitely making these!!

Palidor said...

That looks so good. I'd top them with lots and lots of cheese. :)

Donna-FFW said...

This is so on my list to make soon. I saw her make them and I am just waiting for the mood to strike. Thanks for your review.

Faiza Ali said...

That looks so so yum. Will try making them for sure.

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

Awesome recipe...i love potatoes...will definitely try these...

ann low said...

I will definitely want to try this :D

Coleens Recipes said...

I am definitely trying this!!

Tracie said...

This is going in on Tuesday!

Coleens Recipes said...

What temp did you cook these at?

Carrie said...

Colleen, I am so sorry I forgot to say the temp, thank you for alerting me!!
It's 375 degrees :-)
Carrie