Sunday, August 23, 2009

Andrew's First Concert Pie

This pie is a little overdue. We took Andrew to see Green Day at the Sprint Center on August 12th (the day before school started... we are officially the most irresponsible parents ever). Justin and I have been listening to Green Day since we were Andrew's age and Andrew has grown up listening to their new cd's as well as our old cd's. The concert was amazing! I mean really jaw dropping, dancing like a crazy person, singing at the top of your lungs amazing! No one can captivate an audience like Billie Joe Armstrong! I am so glad we got to experience this with Andrew!

I knew we had to make a pie for Andrew. I mean your first concert is almost as eventful as your first kiss! I needed something green, for Green Day... but more importantly I needed something that tastes like a first concert! Something with a little bite, something new and unusual, yet exciting! Key Lime Pie, perfect!

Ingredients
A pre-made (or bought) graham cracker crust
4 large egg yolks
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup Fresh Key (or regular) lime juice (from about 5 regular limes or 10 key limes)
1 teaspoon Lime Zest
Whipped Cream (I dyed my whipped cream green and piped spikes)

Directions
Beat the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until thick and pale. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the condensed milk. Still on low, add half of the lime juice. When it is incorporated, add the remaining juice, again mixing until it is blended. Bake the pie for 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Transfer the pie to a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes, then freeze the pie for at least 1 hour. Serve with whipped cream and garnish with lime zest or lime wedges.

16 comments:

Kelly Mulvihill said...

You are such a fun mom! I never would have thought to have a pie to celebrate milestones in life! I love it! I might have to make my own spin! :) I miss you, Carrie!

Barbara Bakes said...

Looks like one happy kid! I better check out Green Day's music.

Coleens Recipes said...

irresponsible parents? I think not!! More parents need to be in touch with their kids like you guys.

Katy ~ said...

Look at that huge smile; you can see the happiness shining in his eyes. Only a loving and responsible parent could bring that about!

Pie looks DELISH! I got a kick out of the green whipped cream!

Hugs.

Palidor said...

Hahaha, that's so cute and fun!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

What a blast. It is great to see children so happy. You must be a wonderful Mom.

Marianna said...

What an awesome idea! I just took my neice to Jonas brothers concert on a school night!! I will never be the same again...LOL! I should of made a pie!

Sara said...

Looks delicious! I love the green whipped cream. Great photos! :)

Madam Chow said...

He looks like one happy kid! And that green topping on the pie - inspired!

Nichicakes said...

Oh man that is great! The picture with the green tongue is priceless

Cook the Books said...

Ahh Green Day..."Time of Your Life" was our senior class song in high school. Love the pie!

Jacque said...

Love the green spikey topping.... it's totally appropriate.

I'm sure Andrew will never forget it or the concert.

suz said...

You are the best parents ever!!! My parents were the anti-concert goers hehe. Awesome pie; fun too :)

Anonymous said...

This is the most creative way to celebrate a first in a child's life. Why didn't I know you when my children were little?

Jen H said...

I love your punk rock take on Key Lime Pie, great job!

The Food Librarian said...

You are a fun mom! What a fun time! And perfect cake to match!