Thursday, January 29, 2009

Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I’ve tried making garlic mashed potatoes before but I used raw garlic and it was so strong the potatoes were almost inedible. So, while watching Emeril Lagasse on FoodTV roast garlic this week it occurred to me that roasted garlic is probably the kind of garlic that goes in mashed potatoes. Which is probably why I always see “roasted garlic mashed potatoes” on restaurant menus… it takes me awhile to catch on ;-)

Random Note... I did Pilates with Kathy the drill sergeant last night. Kathy had us do this balancing act while pumping our arms; it sounded something like this…
Carrie: I’m dying
Kathy: Only a couple more ladies
Carrie: How many more?
Kathy: forty
Carrie: FORTY!!! How about four!!
… this morning I woke up, inspected my body and told Justin that I think I have a hernia, he laughed and said “exercise has been known to make you sore, I think you’ll live Carrie”. He was right, I “lived” but I think I’ll stick to the elliptical; my stomach muscles don’t feel like they are residing outside my body when I use the elliptical, lol!

Ingredients
1 head of garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
1 stick butter, cubed
1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper

Directions for roasting garlic
This was my first attempt at roasting garlic and I can honestly say that it was very easy and anyone can do it (yes, even you)! You take the whole garlic bulb and chop off the top. Lay a piece of foil out and place the garlic in the middle and drizzle with olive oil. Then wrap the foil around the garlic covering it (I just wrapped my foil around the garlic like I was wrapping a present). Place in a 450 oven and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender and golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool. Squeeze or remove the garlic cloves from the head and place in a small bowl. Using a fork, mash the garlic until smooth.

Directions for mashed potatoes
Place the potatoes in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and drain. Place the potatoes back in the pot and return to the heat. Stir the potatoes, constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes to dehydrate the potatoes. Remove the potatoes from the heat. Add the garlic and butter. Using a hand-held masher, mash the butter and garlic into the potatoes. Add enough cream until desired texture is achieved. The potatoes should still be sort of lumpy. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.

No comments: