Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Rice

I have a long standing love affair with broccoli cheese rice! Growing up it was sometimes called green rice or broccoli cheese rice casserole but by any name it’s one of my absolute favorite side dishes! This is Justin’s Aunt Nancy’s recipe and I love how easy it is to make! Since I’m the only person in my family that eats broccoli (what’s wrong with these boys) I make it and keep it in the fridge to snack on for days. It is just as good reheated as it is the first day!

Ingredients
2 pounds frozen chopped broccoli
2 cups minute rice
1 (15 ounce) jar Cheez Wiz
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 chopped onion
1 stick of butter
1 cup water

Directions
In a large skillet/saucepan cook the butter and onion on medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the onion has softened and is almost translucent. Add the broccoli, cheez wiz, soup, and water (if your broccoli is frozen then cook it with the butter/onion until it’s thawed before adding the cheez wiz and soup). Cook and stir until everything is warm and mixed together. Stir in the minute rice and pour into greased casserole dish. I use a 2 quart casserole dish and it fills it to the brim perfectly. Cover with foil and cook at 350 for 30-45 minutes, the top will be starting to brown and it will be hot and bubbly. Yum Yum!

3 comments:

Ali said...

yum that looks delicious!

Judy said...

I love broccoli. I am going to try this. I always like recipes I can reheat for me.

Mama-Inski said...

This sounds (and looks) like a recipe for broccoli cheese casserole from Cheddar's restaurant -- have you ever been there? DELISH!! This is going on my menu for next week! thanks :]

ps: if I'm using regular rice, would it work well enough to cook the rice, omit the water, and proceed normally?