Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Heart Ginger Sauce

I never used to buy ginger root, maybe because we were dirt poor or maybe because I had no idea what to do with it (to me it looked like a tumor, lol), but now I couldn’t imagine living without it. In the corner of my kitchen counter you will always find fresh garlic and ginger… usually there are potatoes and apples there as well, but ALWAYS ginger and garlic. I put a clove of garlic into everything I cook but the ginger I use about once or twice a week when cooking chicken. Anyways, the local Japanese hibachi restaurant has a wonderful ginger sauce that I submerge everything in, even my rice. So with tonight’s Teriyaki Chicken I thought I would give the ginger sauce another try (not to mention I got these cute little condiment bowls for Christmas that I was dying to use). Justin and I tasted it a couple dozen times while adding pinch’s more of soy sauce and vinegar, but it turned out delicious!!

Ingredients
2 tablespoons ginger root, grated
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 clove garlic, grated
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Directions
Use a knife to slice the brown skin off the ginger root. Once it is all peeled cut it into small chucks. Stop and smell it, it smells lemony and spicy! I love the way it smells! Use a garlic press to smash the ginger chunks. Put the crushed garlic in a bowl and add the soy sauce and vinegar, taste it, and adjust the flavor to your standards (adding more soy or vinegar). It will be potent so prepare yourself… you are putting it on meat and rice so it needs to have a strong flavor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I decided at 9:30 this evening to make your hibachi soup, since that's m favorite part of the hibachi experience. Since it was 9:30, I've been in a whirlwind of running to the store to get the ingredients and then back home to prep and cook. Until I sat down to let the soup simmer, the only time I stopped was to smell the ginger, because it smelled like lemon :)