Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chicken Noodle Soup

This was my first attempt at homemade chicken noodle soup. I modified Michael’s Soup which is from Tyler Florence's cookbook. I made everything from scratch, roasted my own chicken, stewed the broth, and even made the noodles using Grandma’s noodle recipe, we liked it but it seemed like it was missing something. My friend Nick ate some and he just thought it needed pepper, so all in all I would label it a success! I finished the soup just in time for our dishwasher to break, sigh… Merry Christmas!

Ingredients
1 roasted chicken (you can buy one at the store deli or roast your own)
8 cups water
2 carrots, washed and sliced into circles
3 celery ribs, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
2 cups pasta noodles (dried, frozen, or homemade)
1/2 lemon, juice only

Directions
Place roasted chicken in large stockpot and add water, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and thyme. Place over medium heat and slowly bring to a boil to extract flavors of chicken. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, then remove chicken. Remove meat from chicken; shred meat. Discard bones and skin. Season chicken stock in pot with salt and pepper; add chicken and pasta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked. Finish with lemon juice and parsley.

No comments: