Sunday, December 28, 2008

Barbeque Beef Sandwiches

Wow, it’s a good thing I got dinner started in the crockpot when I woke up because I spent most of the day reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. It’s a young adult book (takes only a couple hours to read) and I suggest that everyone call up their library and get it immediately. It was a very interesting semi-autobiographical book about a teenage boy living on a reservation. I loved it! So I spent the day reading, taking breaks to giggle at my boys playing Guitar Hero, but by dinner I finished my book; we ate and played a game of SpongeBob Life. Everyone thought these sandwiches were a perfect ending to our delightful day!

Ingredients
1 pot roast (anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds)
1 McCormick pulled pork crock-pot packet (found in the gravy mix aisle)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
Optional- 1 medium onion, sliced
Provolone cheese slices
Rolls /buns

Directions
In crockpot, mix the McCormick packet, ketchup, cider vinegar, and brown sugar then add the roast (my roast was still partly frozen). Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours (I cooked mine about 6 hours on low before adding the peppers for another hour). One hour before you plan to eat, shred the beef then slice the peppers and onions and add to crockpot. When it is finished, remove meat and veggies with a slotted spoon. Place cheese slices on buns and put under low broil until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Fill the rolls with the meat and veggies and enjoy!

No comments: