Friday, December 26, 2008

Cinnamon Biscuits


I swiped this recipe from My Home Cafe which is a great blog with lots of yummy recipes! I chose to have these Christmas morning because they can be made in advance and popped into the oven while we are busy opening presents. Justin and the boys were disappointed because they were expecting monkey bread, this tastes like biscuits with a hint of cinnamon and sugar. I overcooked mine and I am kicking myself for it. I pulled them out at exactly 60 minutes and forked open the middle biscuit and they were just right and white in the middle… but my bacon had 4 more minutes to cook so I put them back into the oven (what’s wrong with me)! When I pulled them out not but 5 minutes later they were hard on the outside and beige in the middle. Luckily I served them with bacon and eggs or my family would have killed me… honestly, who messes up breakfast on Christmas morning (apparently I do)!

Ingredients
1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 to 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 stick of butter
Cinnamon and sugar

Directions
Line a 9x13 pan with parchment, and grease the parchment and sides. Parchment isn't absolutely necessary, but it makes it easier to get the bubbly, sugary buns out of the pan once they're baked. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add 2 cups of the cream all at once, then toss and stir the mixture till the dough comes together. If necessary, add additional cream to make the dough cohesive. Gather the dough in your hands and knead it a few times to make sure there are no dry spots. Place the cinnamon sugar in a small, shallow bowl or pan; or in a plastic zip-top bag. Break off pieces of dough about the size of a ping pong ball, or about 1 1/8 ounces. Dip each piece in melted butter or milk, then roll or shake in the cinnamon-sugar to coat. Place the cinnamon-coated dough balls into the pan of your choice in a single layer; they'll be touching one another, which is just fine.
Cover the pan with plastic, and place in the freezer overnight, or for up to a week or so. If freezing longer than overnight wrap the entire pan in plastic wrap, then in foil. Next day, remove the pan from the freezer, and let the buns rest at room temperature while you preheat your oven to 350. The buns don't need to thaw. If you're baking the buns immediately (not frozen), bake them 30 minutes, till the buns in the center are cooked through. You can asses this by taking a toothpick and actually digging into the center bun to take a look; it should look totally baked, not doughy. If the buns have been frozen, bake them for 60 minutes, testing for doneness as instructed above. Cover them with aluminum foil after 30 minutes of baking. Remove from the oven, and serve immediately. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired, right before serving.

No comments: