Thursday, March 4, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Salad

I watched a movie yesterday called Motherhood (starring Uma Thurman), while waiting in the car for an hour and a half....as a mom I bet I spend half my life in my car taking kids, picking up kids, and waiting on kids (in this case I was actually waiting on my husband to get out of physical therapy). The movie was about a frazzled mom trying to juggle personal ambition and familial needs. Just when the mom loses it and decides she can't take anything else her husband miraculously shows up with a $25,000 check he got for trading in a book he found on the street. Sorry to spoil the ending but the movie really wasn't that good. The ending was frustratingly unrealistic because in life we never get bailed out when it gets too overwhelming and stressful. Ok, I won't complain because Justin and I have overcome humongous hurdles and through the grace of God have come out on top. However, I will say this, motherhood is hard and if it weren't for my AMAZING husband I wouldn't be able to survive it.
I had a breakdown on Tuesday because we were out of food for the boys lunches (our weekend was too busy to go to the groccery store), the boys were completely out of clean clothes, my van had a seriously flat tire, and when I got home the boys were both crying and yelling that this has been the "worst day ever" for them (because of things that happened at school). I would have given up right then, threw my hands into the air and cried "uncle" if it weren't for Justin. He sprang into action helping fix everything (he even went to the groccery store alone). So in my happy ending I never get a surprise $25,000 check but I do get a loving husband who helps with everything. He is amazing!
Wow, I practically wrote a book... I didn't realize I had so much to say! I really should have been writing about this salad because it is a very good salad! The chicken isn't too spicy when mixed with the ranch, it was perfect for me (the gal who can't handle any spicy). Justin and Andrew drizzled more hot sauce on their salads. I think this would be a great salad to make for someone who doesn't like salads! It's tasty, hearty, and wonderful! I'm totally making it again next week!

Ingredients
2 heads of romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup ranch dressing (I prefer to make my own using the Hidden Vally mix packet, Hellman's mayonnaise, and milk)
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
2 chicken breasts, cut into small bite sized pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup hot sauce (I use Frank's Buffalo Sauce)

Directions
In a small bowl make your ranch dressing, stir in the blue cheese crumbles, and set aside in the fridge. Season cubed chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over high heat, and pour in the oil. Just before the oil starts to smoke, add the chicken. Cook to brown evenly, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add hot sauce. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Toss together the lettuce and ranch dressing mixture in a large bowl. Top salad with chicken, and serve.

11 comments:

Sara said...

I almost had Netflix send Motherhood to me earlier today... guess I won't now!! hehe

Can you believe I've never had buffalo chicken wings?? They've just never sounded good - but on a salad? YUMM May have to give this a try!

Sweet Cheeks said...

Okay I was going to comment you your post but then read Sara's comment... never had buffalo wings...the horror!

I love them...:)

Debbie said...

Love Buffalo chicken sald and yours looks so good. I can relate to the day you had...we all have them!!!

Natalie said...

YUM! I've been on such a buffalo chicken kick lately...might have to try this salad next :)

Ugh those weeks are horrible, but aren't great husbands great?!?! And hey, it's FRIDAY!

teresa said...

oh how yummy! i love this salad!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have developed a new clean web 2.0 wordpress theme.

Has 2 colours silver and blue, has custom header(colour or image).
I am curently working on it, so if you have suggestions let me know.

You can view live demo and download from here www.getbelle.com
If you found bug reports or you have suggestions pm me.
Wish you a happing using.

many thanks to [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com/]USAInstantPayDay.com[/url] for paying the hosting and developement of the theme

Kayaphype

Linda said...

What a great idea for a salad! I enjoyed your post. :)

Chef Aimee said...

Motherhood is tough - being an aunt I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into it!

This salad looks great and is such a nice way to enjoy buffalo wings without the fat and calories! Thanks for sharing!

Katy ~ said...

Come here. I have a hug and a cuppa for you!

And this buffalo chicken salad sounds deelish!

And what a sweetie pie YOUR husband is!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

A lot of the movie Motherhood speaks exclusive to a NYC mom. If you don't live or haven't lived in NYC it just isn't the same!