Sunday, March 14, 2010

Angel Strawberry Bavarian

**December 2010 tip- I've made this dessert a few times now (it's still my favorite) and have found that it's easier to layer the dessert in a 9x13 pan instead of an angel food cake pan. It's easier to serve. This really is a crowd pleasing dessert!
This cake is so good! I've had it twice in the last couple weeks and I am addicted... seriously, I think I could eat the whole cake all by myself! I like light cakes; I am not a chocoholic, ice cream lover, or peanut butter and chocolate fanatic (like Justin). I actually prefer a bowl of cereal to most desserts, but this cake is right down my ally. We had my parents over last night for dinner and a movie and I served this cake! With the exception of a rogue hair incident (I need to start wearing a hairnet), this cake was a HUGE hit! The fluffy strawberry mousse with sprinkles of Angel Food Cake squares is cool and refreshing! I found the recipe on Duncan Hines website.

Ingredients
1 Angel Food Cake (can be bought or homemade... I bought mine)
1 (24 ounce) tub frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1 (8 ounce) container non-dairy whipped topping

Directions
Cut the angel food cake into 1-inch cubes. Drain thawed strawberries, reserving juice. Combine gelatin and boiling water in small bowl. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Hopefully you'll have 1 cup of strawberry juice (if not add a little water to make 1 cup); stir 1 cup strawberry juice into gelatin. Refrigerate until gelatin is slightly thickened (around 30 minutes). Beat gelatin until foamy.
Fold together 1 container whipped topping, gelatin and 1/4-1/2 cup strawberries. Alternate layers of cake cubes and strawberry mixture into 10-inch tube pan (Angel Food Cake pan). Press lightly. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours. You can unmold cake onto serving platter but it will need to be covered and stored in fridge (we ate and stored ours in the Angel Food Cake pan).

11 comments:

Kim said...

Delicious! I could definitely see myself devouring this cake. This sounds like a light and fruit cake, perfect for this time of year. I'm bookmarking it:D

Heidi said...

This looks so good! I've had something along the same lines called blueberry angel dessert that's wonderful. I need to try this for easter dinner!

DeLisa said...

I love this recipe, I've made in the past. Angel food cake is my favorite.... Scrumptious!

teresa said...

oh i want to eat the whole thing too! delicious!

Jennie said...

That cake just screams "summertime!" Oh that looks too good ... definitely puttin' that one on my list to try :)

Chef Aimee said...

Oh wow! I can see myself eating the entire cake! I love angel food cake - this is great for summer barbecues as a dessert! Thanks for sharing!

Katy ~ said...

My, my, my, does this look fantastical! I'm with you, everyone else can have the chocolate and the peanut butter (except for peanut butter cookies), this is absolutely celestial!

sildenafil citrate said...

I thought it was an excellent blog, that information has been very helpful in my life, I am a strawberries lover, so I really enjoyed this reading, the strawberries taste is so delicious! Thanks for this great moment!

Kathy said...

I wonder how this would work in your cute dessert glasses? I may have to try in my own plastic beverage glasses... NOT near as cute, but they make for easy clean up!

Unknown said...

I've made this multiple times in multiple flavors, from Cranberry to Raspberry, strawberry, & just about every flavor in between. I originally found this recipe in a Diabetic cookbook using Sugar-Free Jello & slicing a ready made Angel Food cake into 3 layers & then layering each-the fluff (I call it) & the strawberries, then repeat. My Mum loved it! I haven't made it in the almost 2 yrs since she passed away, but seeing your version, I think I'll make it again this year for Thanksgiving & Christmas. Thank you for sharing!!!

Carrie said...

http://www.cupcakesandcutlery.com/the-easiest-strawberry-cake-recipe/