Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hot Dog Mummies

Abbott has been excited for Halloween for months! Abbott really is a strange kid, he was obsessed with James Bond and would play the theme song for himself every day as I drove him to preschool. When he was 3 he beat all the James Bond video games... no exaggeration! Now he's moved on to scary movies, he even had a spooky themed birthday party in September. So I made this creep-tacular lunch for him, the hot dog mummies were really good (and SUPER easy)! ...I get so tired of normal hot dogs, I am going to make these more often!

Ingredients
1 can (11 ounce) Pillsbury refrigerated breadsticks (12 breadsticks)
12 beef hot dogs
Cooking Spray
Mustard or ketchup, if desired

Directions
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Unroll dough; separate at perforations into 12 breadsticks. With knife or kitchen scissors, cut each breadstick lengthwise and crosswise into 4 pieces, making a total of 48 pieces of dough.
Wrap 4 pieces of dough around each hot dog to look like "bandages", stretch dough to completely cover hot dog. About 1/2 inch from one end of each hot dog, separate "bandages" so hot dog shows through for "face". Place wrapped hot dogs on greased cookie sheet; spray dough lightly with cooking spray.
Bake at 375 degrees for 13-17 minutes or until dough is light golden brown and hot dogs are hot. With mustard, draw "eyes".

I also made Monster Apple Mouths as a fun side to the hot dog mummies.... the boys thought they were really creepy! Ingredients
1 large Apple of choice
Peanut Butter
Marshmallows cut in 1/2

Directions
Cut out a small wedge on the skin side of the apple. Blot inside with a paper towel then spread lightly with creamy peanut butter. Cut marshmallows in half and place over peanut butter to make the teeth.

8 comments:

Samantha said...

I make these all of the time. I call them Dogs in a Sweater. :) Also love the background change on the blog! :)

Katy ~ said...

Carrie, these are a HOWL!

Coleens Recipes said...

I laughed out loud when I saw these...what a hoot!! Perfect for Halloween lunch, I love it.

Donna-FFW said...

OMG.. I am loving the apple mouths!!

teresa said...

so cute! i love how fun halloween is with the kids!

suz said...

What cute mummies Carrie!! Bravo :)

Julie said...

How cute! I was gonna make pigs in a blanket tomorrow night...wonder if I can make this using crescent rolls. Maybe if I cut them all strippy like, we'll see. Thanks for the idea :)

Marge said...

These are so cute! I love the monster mouths too! Thanks for sharing :)