Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Reuben Sandwich

My father and uncle both suffer from Polycystic Kidney Disease, eventually their kidney function gets so low that they need a transplant. My uncle had a successful kidney transplant last week (woohoo), he got a kidney from my aunt. My mom also gave a kidney to my dad and later my cousin did too! Well, this spurred an interesting conversion between Justin and I. We seem to have identical brains, no kidding it's like we're the same person! I just know our organs wouldn't be compatible though, our bodies are so different! If I get a cold in my throat he will get it in his stomach. I think something tastes spicy and he thinks it tastes sweet. I just have this feeling that our organs would be exact opposite!
Another way our bodies are different is that Justin can eat the same thing day after day. He's had a waffle for breakfast and a lunch meat sandwich for lunch every day for 4 years! If I eat the same thing 2 days in a row I am bored, especially with lunch meat sandwiches! That's why I like Reubens! I can eat a cold corned beef sandwich for lunch and come home and eat a Reuben for dinner, it doesn't feel like I'm eating the same thing... not to mention they're delicious!

Ingredients
Butter
Sliced rye bread
Deli sliced corned beef (around 4 slices per sandwich)
Sliced Swiss cheese
Sauerkraut, drained (around a tablespoon per sandwich)
Thousand Island dressing (around a teaspoon per sandwich)

Directions
Preheat a large skillet or griddle on medium heat. Lightly butter one side of rye bread. Spread the non-buttered side with Thousand Island dressing. Now add on the sauerkraut, corned beef, and Swiss cheese. Top with a bread slice, buttered sides out. Grill the sandwich until the bread is golden brown, and then flip and grill the other side until golden brown. It will take around 15 minutes, make sure you serve hot (put it in the microwave for 20 seconds if you need to warm it up again).

13 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

I've never had a Reuben. Now I feel like I've really been missing out!

Coleens Recipes said...

I've never had a Reuben sandwich either, but this looks fantastic!!!

ann low said...

Sorry, I really don't know what is Reuben. Must be nice~~looking at your sandwich.

Donna-FFW said...

One of my most favorite sandwiches, ever! Now I am craving one.

Palidor said...

Glad to hear about your uncle. It's been a long time since I've had a reuben. Yours look great!

Katy ~ said...

A Reuben is one of my all time favorite sandwiches; I've only had then in restaurants though. Gosh, I really like this. I'm the only one here who will eat them so it hasn't been really cost effective to buy the ingredients to make this at home, but I may have to throw caution to the wind, and go for it! Oh, my mouth is aching for a Reuben sandwich!!!

lvmysn said...

Thanks for the great recipe for my most favorite sandwich in the world! It looks great! I am making my grocery list, maybe Nathan will make me one this week. Uncle Dave is home and is feeling better. Love you!

Amber said...

These sandwiches are my weakness! I'm going to put this on my to make list after I've dropped 10 lbs to celebrate. This sandwich will probably have me gain it all back..but they are so good and yours looks DELICIOUS!

Jen said...

I had never tried a Reuben until recently and wow am I hooked now. We never make them at home. I'll have to try this...

Sunflower Sue said...

Yumm! This sounds so good! I am getting ready for cold weather food and this will fit the bill.

It is a good drive to the closest store to me. So getting corn beef when the urge strikes is not alway possible. I have used canned corn beef (micro it first to remove some of the fat) for a sandwich. I would imagine it would work for this recipe too.

I wish yor family well with the health issues. Medicine sure has come a long way. Thank God!

teresa said...

oh that is SUCH a tasty looking sammy. i just ate lunch, but i still want one! delicious!

Marge said...

I haven't had a reuben in a while....think I'll be doing this soon! Thanks for the post!

Talita said...

Yummm!!! What a delicious looking! I've never had a Reuben sandwich too.