Sunday, November 15, 2009

S’mores Bars

Justin grew up living on a couple acres so he could go out any weekend, strike up a bonfire, and have s'mores! It was amazing! I'm always eating the toasted marshmallow before I can sandwich it between chocolate and graham crackers. We live in the city and we can't have a bonfire... and grilled marshmallows always seem to taste like lighter fluid (ok, everything I grill always tastes like lighter fluid)! These s'mores bars are a yummy fun alternative, and they're easy to make!!
Ingredients
8 cups (10 oz) Golden Grahams cereal
2/3 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups (12 oz) milk chocolate morsels
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups mini marshmallows
Extra cereal and marshmallows for sprinkling on top

Directions
Spray a 13×9 inch pan with cooking spray or line with non-stick foil. Pour cereal in a large mixing bowl so that it’s ready to go.
Heat corn syrup and butter together in a saucepan set over medium. When mixture begins to boil, add chocolate chips, reduce heat to low or turn off completely, stir until melted. Stir in vanilla.
Pour chocolate mixture over cereal, coating it thoroughly, than fold in the marshmallows, 1 cup at a time. Press mixture evenly into a pan, sprinkling extra cereal and marshmallows on top for contrast, and then let stand until firm – about 1 hour or stick them in refrigerator so they’ll firm up quickly. I did that because I was impatient, and it worked out well. In fact, I liked the bars better cold!

Andrew made a video of him and our cat (Abby) playing, they are so cute together!

11 comments:

AnickH said...

Ha, I was thinking about making these just the other day but then didnt. You've re-inspired me!

Donna-FFW said...

Oh these sound like a bite of Heaven. My kids would inhale these beauties!

ann low said...

Looks so nice to eat :D

teresa said...

i'm drooling all over myself just looking at these!

Marge said...

oohh these sound so good! I'll have to make them soon! Thanks for the recipe :)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Great way to use cereal.

Coleens Recipes said...

OH YUM!!! How fun/yummy is that???

Katy ~ said...

I haven't had s'mores in decades because of the bonfire issues, grins so these look super, super good!

Cute video of Andy and Abby! I could so relate as we have 5 cats. And aren't you clever to do such a video as this!

Karine said...

Your bars sound decadent! Thanks for sharing :)

Latte Lady said...

I made these this weekend and they were a hit! My son just asked me when I was going to make them again! Your recipes are always good! I wish you were not so busy and could post more often!

Have a good Turkey Day!!!

Palidor said...

Oh my, I couldn't look at the picture for too long because it would drive me crazy. I can just taste the combination of graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate!