Sunday, November 30, 2008

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch Pie

I never posted an update on my blog but I actually won last month’s pie challenge with my Tie Dye Fashion Pie, how crazy is that! As the winner I have to pick January’s pie theme which is a lot of pressure so let me know if you have any good ideas! December’s pie challenge theme is holiday music, make a pie inspired by your favorite holiday song.
Yikes! I was at a loss of ideas for this one but my brother-in-law Chad suggested “You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch” so I have to give him the credit and kudos for the idea! I wish I would have had more green food coloring on hand so it would appear even more Grinch-ish, but you get the idea. This green pie is a twist on a Grasshopper Pie, it has an Oreo crust, layer of hot fudge, and a mint marshmallow filling.

Ingredients
Oreo cookies (about15 cookies)
2 tablespoons butter
1 package of marshmallows
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon mint extract
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
6 drops green food coloring
1 jar of hot fudge

Directions
Chop cookies finely in a food processor and mix with melted butter. Press cookie mixture into the bottom of a pie tin or spring foam pan. Microwave the jar of hot fudge and pour on top of the cookies. Place crust a in freezer to harden while making the pie filling. In large saucepan combine marshmallows, milk, and mint extract. Stir over medium heat until the marshmallows are completely melted. Chill until mixture holds its shape when dropped from a spoon. Beat the whipping cream in a chilled bowl until it forms stiff peaks. Fold whipping cream into marshmallow mixture, mine didn’t fold so easily so I beat them together for a couple seconds with the mixer. Spread into pie crust. Cover and refrigerate or freeze. My pie seemed to melt (as you can see in the picture) so I would suggest serving it semi-frozen at least.
You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.
You really are a heel.
You're as cuddly as a cactus,
You're as charming as an eel.
Mr. Grinch.


You're a bad banana
With a greasy black peel.


You're a monster, Mr. Grinch.
Your heart's an empty hole.
Your brain is full of spiders,
You've got garlic in your soul.
Mr. Grinch.


I wouldn't touch you, with a
thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole.

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

Great pie! It's perfect!

The Food Librarian said...

Love it! How cute!! And I just love grasshopper pie!

Jacque said...

How fun is that? Great idea and your pie looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

So cool! What a great idea. Love the green.

Anne said...

I love the Grinch idea and the color and flavors look great. Nice job!

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea for a pie! Now I have the song in my head for the rest of the day!

Tammy said...

I dont know this song, but the pie looks fab!

Mary Ann said...

Oh, man- this sounds good! I love these flavors mixed together. I love that song too- it is pretty catchy and so fun!

NKP said...

That is a wonderful pie! I love it, and the theme song - great interpretation.
I will give you a piece of mine if you give me a piece of yours....
Cheers, and congrats again on winning last month.

Jen H said...

Great minds do think alike! I love that we were both inspired by the same song but had such different takes!

suz said...

Yum! Looks great! I think I just may have to try that filling on it's own :)

Barbara said...

Carrie, congratulations on your previous win. I was very much into your theme this month. I'm new to this blogspot.

You did what I do when I have a cooking block...ask someone for suggestions. Your pie sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE grasshopper pie. Sounds great.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a recipe for my site on www.examiner.com and I came across your recipe. It is a great compliment to the rest of the additions in my Grinch entry. I can't wait to try it out!

Anonymous said...

This pie sounds delicious, I plan on making it this holiday season! One question though, what size bag of marshamallows did you use??? Thank you for sharing!!

Carrie said...

Hi Anonymous! I used a 10.5 ounce bag of miniature marshmallows.
Good luck :-)