Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Taco Pockets and Dip

There are a few foods that scare me to think about making like bread, cinnamon rolls, calzones... ok you caught me; I am terrified of yeast! It just seems so complicated and easy to mess up. So, when looking at the refrigerated cinnamon rolls I saw a long skinny tube called "thin-crust pizza dough". What a great find this was! I've wanted to try making calzones/hot pockets for a long time and this dough works perfectly! The possibilities are endless (and you will see my experiments coming soon) but my first pocket creation had to be Mexican of course, for my pepper bellied boys!

Ingredients
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 packet taco seasoning
1 small block of pepper jack cheese
1/2 cup salsa verde
1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated thin-crust pizza dough
Chips for the dip

Directions
Brown the ground turkey, drain, and add the taco seasoning. Roll the pizza dough out onto your pan with non-stick foil or cooking spray. With a pizza cutter divide the dough into four sections. Spoon the meat onto the dough (about 1/2 a cup) and put a couple cuts of pepper jack cheese on top. Fold the ends of the dough over the meat and cheese. Use a fork to crimp the sides together. When they are all filled, folded, and crimped. Bake at 425 degrees for 12 minutes or until browned. Now while the Taco Pockets are cooking... what to do with the leftover meat in your pan? Add the rest of your cheese and 1/2 a cup of salsa verde. Cook over medium-low heat until everything is melted. Serve this dip with some chips!

9 comments:

Justin said...

Don't fear the yeast. It just needs sugar and warmth and it will do its job. If you have a bread machine just follow the dough recipe that comes with it. I've had great success with pizzas, calzones, and breadsticks. We even used that generic bread machine recipe with grilled pizza and it turned out awesome.

Creative Classroom Core said...

These look awesome! My husband would go crazy for them!

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

This dish looks so tempting...I am sure it must have tasted d best..Amazing recipe..sure gonna try it out...

Melody said...

Anything Mexican is a winner at my house. I actually love the convenience of the refrigerated dough.

That dip looks awesome!

Donna-FFW said...

Love the idea of a mexican flavored calzone. I have a fear of the yeast also.. I had success with Pioneer womans cinnamon rolls using it though , a few times. They are fantastic.

Coleens Recipes said...

While yeast dough is really a lot easier than everyone thinks...there ARE many, many times you don't have TIME to go through the yeast process. This seems like a wonderful alternative for those times. How clever! I'll bet they were a huge hit.

I'm also glad your boys had fun with the mug chocolate cake.

Amy said...

mmm..we love all things mexican!

Anj said...

I am also yeast challenged. These look great, and so many possibilities!

Katy ~ said...

Very clever, and I can just taste how delicious they are. My Ole Sweetie would love these!