Saturday, May 16, 2009

Duggar's Tater Tot Casserole

Every now and then I slip into a TLC coma, I don't even know I'm in it until I look at the clock and realize the day is over. Damn you TLC and your all day TV show marathons!! I love Little People Big World, I like Jon and Kate plus 8, and I am bewildered by 18 Kids and Counting... it's about the Duggar family and their 18 kids (she bore everyone of them)! I slip into a trance and can't stop watching the Duggars! I find their meals most fascinating, can you imagine feeding 20 people breakfast, lunch (she home-schools), and dinner?! Their favorite dinner is Tater Tot Casserole, and the recipe is available on their website which has lots of great money saving recipes (I am ashamed I visited their website, I've fallen and I can't get up, lol)! The only thing worse than watching TLC tv shows all day long are the TLC nightmares all night long! I have dreams that I suddenly give birth to sextuplets or that I am in the honeymoon suite of the oldest Duggar child who just got married through an arranged marriage on the show, yikes! The casserole was actually pretty good! I am not usually a casserole fan, but I will make it again!

Ingredients
1 pound ground turkey
1 2-pound bag of tater tots
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can of evaporated milk (I omitted this because I didn't have it)
1 can of cream of chicken soup

Directions
Brown the ground turkey. Drain the meat and add to a medium sized bowl (or leave it in your pan if it's large enough for the added ingredients) stir in the soups and evaporated milk. Pour the mixture into a 9x13 pan. Now line the top of the casserole with tater tots (don't sprinkle the tater tots on, actually line them up in a single layer row fitting as many as you can). Shake on some salt and pepper and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

12 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm right there with you. I am fascinated about all three of those shows. Especially the Duggers and how they feed/dress/organize for that many people. Did you see the show with their pantry that looked like a market? Whoa!! I don't know how they do it. There would be no such thing as making lunch with ONE pack of hotdogs LOL

Donna-FFW said...

I dont watch those shows, I am moreof a 24, Greys girl, but this tater tot casserole looks fantastic. My 8(my 4 + 4 stepchildren) would be all over it!

Judy said...

Hi Carrie, You are not alone. I watch these same shows and the Duggers never cease to amaze me. I have to admit I think she has a screw loose somewhere though. I hear them talk about this meal all the time. If all those kids like it and eat it, I guess it is good.

Kristen said...

When I had cable, I used to go into the same sort of trance. My favorites were the Dating Story, Wedding Story, Baby Story hours (plus Trading Spaces) - are those shows even on anymore? I'm more of a YouTube trance person now (back seasons of The Amazing Race and How to Clean Your House). The recipe looks like good simple home cooking!

Unknown said...

Oh I'm right there with you on these shows...its like a train wreck...you cant help but watch.

I've not made their tater tot casserole before, but I've had it when someone else made it and it was fantastic. You should try adding some frozen mixed veggies into it too...its awesome.

Anonymous said...

Adding veggies sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try that.

I live in Fayetteville, AR. I knew the Duggars lived in Arkansas, but it wasn't until last week when I saw some of them in a local store that I realized they lived so near to me. (Actually I didn't even know it was "them" until I happened to see an ad for their show and put two and two together).

Anyway, I like using ground turkey, and this casserole sounds like a good winter meal. Thanks for passing it on.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Just made it tonight again, family loves it. Though it in itself is not that nutritious

SonyaSarmiento said...

this is SOOOO YUMMY!! i followed it and posted your link on my blog! thanks for sharing!
http://www.ohanafootprints.com/2011/06/i-fed-my-family-tater-tot.html

Nippon Nin said...

I don't watch the show or TLC but your story is funny enough. This actually looks yummy.

Shannon said...

So omitting the evaporated milk would be ok then? I am trying to be more health conscious so would love to be able to trim those calories out! Can also buy the lower sodium/cal/fat soups and extra lean beef.

Anonymous said...

They did not have an arranged marriage. Where did you get that?