Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Frozen Hot Chocolate

I've never been to New York City, but if I ever go the #1 thing on my to-do list is visit Serendipity 3 and get their famous Frrrozen Hot Chocolate! I've seen Serendipity 3's Frozen Hot Chocolate in countless movies like One Fine Day, Serendipity, Trust the Man, etc. Well, awhile back Oprah had the owner of Serendipity 3's on her show and he gave out the recipe......woohoo! I couldn't wait to make it!

Ingredients
6 pieces (1/2-ounce) chocolate , a variety of your favorites
2 teaspoons store-bought hot chocolate mix
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cups ice
Whipped cream
Chocolate shavings

Directions
Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place it in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir occasionally until melted. Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar. Stir until completely melted. Remove from heat and slowly add 1/2 cup of milk until smooth. Cool to room temperature.

In a blender, place the remaining cup of milk, the room-temperature chocolate mixture and the ice. Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri. Pour into a giant goblet and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Abbott what do you think? Andrew what do you think? Andrew... Andrew?! Come up for air son! Andrew bared down and didn't come up until he was finished, he loved it!

14 comments:

Jordan said...

That looks amazing!
I'll be trying that recipe as soon as possible!

Hillary said...

Wow, that does look awesome!! What kind of chocolate did you use? I don't like chocolate (it's true!), but I do like hot chocolate. I just have no idea what kind of chocolate to buy for this since I'm not a huge fan....

Carrie said...

Hillary, I was going to use something good like Ghirardelli chocolate but I didn't want to run to the store so I just used Nestle Chocolate Chips... and it still turned out great! ;-)

Kim said...

Hello chocolate:D This looks delicious. You probably wouldn't see me coming up for air either. Very cute pics of the kids!

Taylor said...

crazy. i was just saying how i wanted to find a good recipe for frozen hot chocolate and i knew this was out there somewhere. i think it was after listening to an episode of munchcast. if you are a podcast listener i would suggest checking that one out.

Nicole said...

Nom, nom, nom! That looks great!

teresa said...

lol! that is so cute! and this looks just sinful and delicious, i love it!

kitchen koala said...

The boys sure look like they're enjoying themselves! Great recipe...and the perfect excuse to fire up the blender I got at Christmas :)

Marge said...

Oh Yum! I can't wait to try this. So glad you posted this recipe - I missed it on Oprah, but loved those movies!

Debbie said...

I don't think I would come up for air either!!! Looks wonderful! Yum!!!

Chef Aimee said...

LOL oh the boys are so cute! I have been to Serendipity but I think your experience making it and sharing it with your family is probably better than going to the actual restaurant! :)

Diana's Cocina said...

I had one of these in New York. It was incredibly awesome! Great job!

Katy ~ said...

Is this like the cutest endorsement of a recipe or what?!! I LOVE those boys of yours. Such big ENJOYMENT of this!!

Marianna said...

I have always wanted to try this it looks so good! I don't blame Andrew one bit! I would inhale it too!