Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mom's Chicken Tetrazzini

Chicken Tetrazzini is my ultimate comfort food. It is creamy, cheesy, chicken spaghetti... it really is a fabulous casserole! I grew up eating it, for my Birthday I always asked for Grandma's Chicken and Noodles or Mom's Chicken Tetrazzini. It’s my favorite! When the chicken is boiling your house fills with the smell of bay and celery, it’s amazing... I wish they sold bay leaf and celery candles! This is also the perfect dinner if you need to make a casserole for someone because a whole chicken usually yields 4 cups of shredded meat, so you can easily make two casseroles (one for you and one for a friend in need)!

Ingredients
1 whole chicken
1 pound spaghetti noodles, broken into pieces
6 celery stalks, cut in half
1 bay leaf
3 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup crushed Saltine crackers

Directions
Put the celery, chicken, bay leaf, and chicken in a large pot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fill the pot with water until the chicken is completely submerged. Boil on medium-high heat for a 1 hour (or until the chicken is cooked through). After cooking remove the chicken and celery from the pot. LEAVE THE BROTH AND BAY LEAF (your going to cook your spaghetti noodles in this broth)! Break the spaghetti into 2-inch pieces you'll have around 2-3 cups. Turn the heat to high and cook the spaghetti in your chicken broth for around 10 minutes or until the noodles are soft. I know this picture just looks like broth but the spaghetti noodles are in there, promise! While the noodles are cooking shred your chicken and discard the bones and celery. You only need two cups of chicken for this casserole so you can save the extra chicken for another recipe or make a 2nd Chicken Tetrazzini casserole (this is what I suggest... but in all honesty myself and the boys have immediately gobbled up the extra chicken- true story)! When the spaghetti is done dip a measuring cup into the pot and retrieve 2 cups of broth. (Don’t burn yourself!) and strain the rest of the broth out and discard it along with the bay leaf. In a bowl (or your pot) dump the spaghetti noodles, 3 cans cream of mushroom soup, 2 cups of cheese, and chicken. Stir it all together. Now start adding the chicken broth, beginning with 1 cup. Stir it up, then add a little more. You want the mixture to be stirrable, but definitely not soupy. I usually stop just short of using the full two cups. Place mixture into a 9x13 casserole pan and top with crushed saltines. Yum, yum! At this point, you can cover it well and freeze it, unbaked. Or you can cover it and refrigerate it, unbaked, for up to two days before baking. Or, go ahead and bake it at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes until hot & bubbly. And here’s what you’ll have:

17 comments:

Heidi said...

I've never had tetrazzini before, but it looks wonderful! I've always heard of turkey tetrazzini, but never chicken. It looks easy :)

Carrie said...

You can make turkey tetrazzini the same way Heidi! Actually it's a great way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey!

Cristie said...

I love tetrazzini and this recipe looks wonderful. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Katy ~ said...

Love chicken tetrazzini. I usually only have it in those brunch buffets because one recipe makes so much. Isn't this like one of the best foods on the planet?!

Lisa said...

This looks fantastic and so easy! I'm already planning on making it...:)

Thanks!

Donna-FFW said...

Moms recipes are always the best. I love that you can mae 2 easily. Always great for a backup dish or to freeze. Looks fantastic.

justjoycee said...

Great dish, you know if it's Mom's it has to be good.

Michelle said...

This looks really yummy!

frugal southern mom said...

Hey Carrie
I found you on Katy's blog. I love this recipe, going to have to try it this week. I am big into comfort food right now and this hits the spot!

teresa said...

mmm, that is a goooood looking recipe!

solid wood furniture said...

I never tried making tetrazzini before but I have eaten some in a party. Mow, I know how it was done.

sandandstarfish said...

Love your site! I literally just read every single post! My co-workers were amazed that I had never heard of loose-meat sandwiches so we all starting clicking away and found our site and I'm so happy we did! There are so many great recipes that look so good and quick to make! Thank you for your wonderful posts! Looking forward to cooking with you!

Colleen said...

Oh this looks so yummy and something I could probably handle making.......I love reading your recipes.

Colleen

Colleen said...

Oh this looks so yummy and something I could probably handle making.......I love reading your recipes.

Colleen

Juliana said...

Carrie, what an interesting dish...sounds and sure looks very yummie :-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry it's taken me so long to comment on this recipe. It was freakin' AWESOME!!! My entire family loved it! As a matter of fact, I'm even going to endure the heat and turn my oven on to make it for dinner tonight. Thank you Carrie for all of your great posts.

Anonymous said...

Carrie, Just made the Chicken Tetrazinni and it was wonderful. Thanks for a great recipe! Also loved the aroma from the Celery and Bay Leaf!