Saturday, January 1, 2011

Homemade Hostess Cupcakes

Well, our Christmas break is almost over... boohoo :-(
It's been a fun couple weeks! It seems like every Christmas break we go through an entertainment trend. This year's trend was board games, especially the game Clue (we played it probably 10 times). This is the first year Abbott has understood Clue and was able to really play, so it was "game on" as we strategized and asked our questions... Mr. Plum, with the candlestick, in the library?
It's so much fun playing with the boys! Abbott especially has come into his own recently, he is a witty lil punk! My stomach muscles have been sore from laughing so much!
We also celebrated Andrew! Last year he scored in the top 2% on state assessments so he was invited to a scholarship program. Initially I wasn't very excited because it required that Andrew take the ACT... a 7th grader take the ACT?! Eventually though, my school's college counselor convinced me to let Andrew take it. We got Andrew's ACT score a few days ago and he scored a 20! We are so proud of him! 20 is an amazing score for a 7th grader!
Here are some pictures of our holiday break...





Now, on to the cupcakes! No joke, this is THE BEST cupcake recipe I have! Justin was shocked when I told him I've never blogged this recipe because I've made it a few times (and they've gotten rave reviews every time), but these cupcakes are gobbled down so quickly I usually can't get any pictures! I decorate the top of the cupcakes with the hostess signature loops, but you could draw words or pictures as well. I tried writing "love" once but my handwriting is so sloppy... I have to stick to the loops ,-)

Cupcake Ingredients
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix (and the oil, water, eggs to prepare it)
1 large jar Marshmallow Fluff

Ganache Ingredients
1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips
1/2 cup milk

Icing Ingredients
1 stick butter
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Cupcake Directions
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350. Place paper liners in muffin tin for about 20 cupcakes. Spray liners with non-stick cooking spray.
Prepare the Devil's Food cake according to the directions, divide the batter evenly amongst the cupcake liners (about 1/4 cup batter per cupcake) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Cool for at least 1 hour.

Spoon the marshmallow fluff into a pastry bag... this is the hardest part because the fluff is so sticky (get a helper to hold your bag while you try to fill it). With a medium star tip (I used a Wilton #199 tip). Insert the tip into the center of each cupcake top; fill until the cupcake is heavier or the top starts to split. It's OK if some of the filling peeks out, it will be covered by the ganache ,-)

Ganache Directions
In a tall cup or bowl (I use a 2-cup measuring cup) add the milk and chocolate chips. Microwave in 30 second intervals stirring after each cycle until it's melted. Mine is usually melted and ready to go after 3 cycles (1 minute 30 seconds).
Icing Directions
Meanwhile, prepare the icing: Using a mixer, beat the remaining 1 stick butter, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, the milk and confectioners’ sugar until smooth, adding more milk if needed. Spoon into a pastry bag with a small tip (I used a Wilton #4 plain tip); pipe onto the cupcakes to decorate.
Store in the refrigerator, they are yummy cold!

17 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

They look fantastic!! I will definitely be trying these.

Quirky Jessi said...

I don't even like this kind of Hostess snack, but these look so good. I bet the family would love them so I'll probably be trying them out anyway, hehe.

Oh, and shame on you for not sharing sooner. ;) :P

teresa said...

what a fun break you had, i love the pics!

my husband would go nuts for these cupcakes, they look awesome!

The Food Librarian said...

Looks like a fun holiday break for you and the family! Love the cat! And these cupcakes look great! - mary

Julie said...

Looks like you had a fun and relaxing Christmas break! These cupcakes look just like the real thing (only I'm sure they taste a million times better!)

Marianna said...

Those look heavenly! I can't wait to try them. Have a Happy New Year!!

Amber said...

omg omg omg..you totally just inspired me to get back on the horse and start cooking in my kitchen again! These look amazing and I love your Christmas pics! Looks like you guys had a great holiday!

Misty said...

Ohhhhh, must try these! They look so easy to make, yet look like you slaved for hours making the!

Marge said...

Can't believe I missed this post! These look so cute and yummy!!!

Restaurants Brugge said...

I really like hostess cupcakes.

Restaurants Brugge

Travel Links said...

Oh very sweet and tasty food I like this food I say thanks for the nice idea and instruction I love more than.

Unknown said...

I just made these cupcakes last night and they turned out awesome! I've been looking for a good Hostess Cupcake recipe and this is it! Everyone at my work devoured them! Thanks for the great recipe Carrie!

seo agency india said...

this is a look fantastic!! I will definitely be trying these............

web design agency india said...

I just made these cupcakes last night and they turned out awesome! I've been looking for a good Hostess Cupcake recipe and this is it!

web design agency india said...

I just made these cupcakes last night and they turned out awesome! I've been looking for a good Hostess Cupcake recipe and this is it!

web design agency india said...

I just made these cupcakes last night and they turned out awesome! I've been looking for a good Hostess Cupcake recipe and this is it!

Ihjaz Ahmad said...

My sister's favorite was the Devil's Food Cake Recipe that she got from one of her friends. She always talks about it whenever we meet! Cupcake looks delicious! I’m definitely making this! thanks for sharing!