Monday, February 23, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Layer Cake

When I saw this Chocolate-Peanut Butter Triple Layer Cake recipe I immediately knew Justin would like it... chocolate and peanut butter are Justin's favorite! I only have two cake pans so I didn't make a triple layer cake but it turned out just fine. The chocolate cake was really really moist, a very delicious chocolate cake! Justin didn't like the icing, he isn't a fan of cream cheese and the flavor was too noticeable for him. So I probably won't be making this cake again since it wasn't Justin's favorite but seriously... we just had our Chocolate Torte. Can any other cake really live up to those standards? I don't think so.

... while typing this blog I had to stop and yell at Justin who was trying to "make a basket" by throwing candy into our sleeping son's mouth. Hehe, I love my husband! He is the chocolate to my peanut butter!

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup neutral vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
Frosting
10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter (not a "natural" variety)

Directions
Line three (I only used two) 8-inch round cake pans with buttered parchment circles in the bottoms of the pans. Butter and flour the pans. (Make sure to get them really buttered and floured--these cakes are really sticky!) Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt). Then add the oil and sour cream and whisk together. Gradually whisk in the water, followed by the vinegar and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs and beat well to blend, scraping down the sides of the bowls as needed. Divide among the three pans and bake at 350 for about 30-35 minutes. Cool in the freezer about 30 minutes before frosting.
Frosting Directions
Beat together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar slowly...you might not use all of it. Add the peanut butter and beat thoroughly for 3-4 minutes until light and fluffy. Remove the cakes from the freezer and place one layer on the serving tray. Spread 2/3 cup frosting on the bottom layer; top with a second layer, another 2/3 cup of frosting, and the top layer of cake. Spread a thin layer of frosting on the entire cake. Chill for about an hour before serving and store in the refrigerator.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am making a peanut butter and jelly cupcake for Sweet Treats this month. I think I will use your peanut butter frosting recipe, it sounds delicous.

melanie said...

I was googling chocolate peanut butter cake recipes for a birthday and came across your site and just wanted to say all your recipes sound great! I'm going to do this one this weekend though.

Anonymous said...

I made this cake and icing for cookout this weekend. It was absolutely amazing!!! Everyone loved it and raved about it. I will definitely make it again.

www.malaga-3d.com said...

I found a great deal of useful material here!

Rhonda V said...

I tried this recipe for Thanksgiving and it was amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

My daughter asked me for a chocolate peanut butter cake for her birthday this weekend. So glad I came across this recipe. Smells delicious baking in the oven right now and the spoon tasted great)!