Tuesday, May 25, 2010

(Jack) Shepherd's Pie

The LOST finale aired on Sunday and we celebrated by having a LOST party, complete with LOST themed foods! Jack Shepherd is the star of LOST so I had to serve Shepherd's Pie! Justin was really hesitant, he'd never had Shepherd's Pie and the idea of hamburger and potatoes disgusted him.... however, I am happy to report that Justin (and the boys) LOVED the Shepherd's Pie! I am so excited because this wasn't very difficult (only took around an hour) and it was so hearty. I am adding this to our go-to list of dinners... you know, the 5 dinners that you seem to cook endlessly until you realize you're in a rut and you finally go looking for a new recipe! ... maybe that's just me ,-)

Ingredients
4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon butter
1-2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (I used 2 cups because we like cheesy potatoes)
Salt and pepper to taste

5 carrots, finely chopped
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons ketchup
3/4 cup beef broth

Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash. Mix in butter and shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
In a large frying pan add the ground beef, onion, and carrots. You really want your onion and carrots to be finely chopped so they will cook all the way through, I used my slap chop to dice the carrots and onion. Cook meat and veggies over medium-high heat until meat has browned. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Add Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and beef broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Spread the ground beef in an even layer on the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then top with the mashed potato mixture and sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

So our LOST party was so much fun! This won't make sense to anyone but LOST fans but we served...

Walted Milk Balls (Jack) Shepherd’s Pie We Have To Go Mac (& Cheese) DHARMA-L Apples Daniel Frito-Lays (and salsa) The LOST finale didn't disappoint! I don't think there will ever again be a show like LOST! We would spend the whole week speculating, theorizing, and looking forward to the next LOST episode. We will miss it greatly!

8 comments:

mugi said...

i have just finished to read all of your posts, you are amazing woman, i wish i had a wife like you.

You are so sweet and wonderful woman, your kids are such sweet little angels, and your cat is sooo cute, your husband also amazing, you really have a nice family, most important thing is damn you woman really can cook.

teresa said...

what clever ideas for you party! i love the shephards pie, that's a favorite in our house!

Marge said...

Thanks for this great post. What a wonderful idea for a party! I loved LOST too and will miss it. I don't know if I want to devote that much time to a new show in the future, but it was a great ride! I love your recipe for 'Jack' Shepherd pie! I'm always on the look out for one and can't wait to try this. :)

Katy ~ said...

You are just too much fun. LOVE shepherd's pie, and with all that glorious cheese, we would be loving this! Oh yeah, it's deee-lish!

Chef Aimee said...

I never watched the series, but I sure loved viewing this post! :) I love the themes you tied into the dishes!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This was really fun to read and I liked the shepherds pie. This was my first visit to your blog, so I spent some time playing catch-up. I love your recipes and your sense of humor. I'll be back often to see what else you've been cooking. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Juliana said...

Oh! Your shepherd pie sure looks yummie...haven't one of these for a while...so comforting :-)

Ahmed Parbes said...


Tamilrokers Free Movie`

Great Article I love it so much.
Thanks for Sharing.