Saturday, December 26, 2009

Skillet Chili Mac with Corn and Green Chiles

We are officially snowed in! Well, in all honesty we could shovel ourselves out but we are having too much fun being stranded at home! I've cleaned the house, played with all the Christmas gifts (with my boys), found homes for all the Christmas gifts, and have snuggled on the couch with my husband for hours.... yeah, we're enjoying being together to much to shovel our driveway! I think we got around 7 inches of snow but the wind blew it all up against our house, we have a two foot snow drift right outside our front door!
This was the perfect time for My Kitchen Cafe's Skillet Chili Mac! If you're wanting a traditional hamburger helper type meal omit the corn, chiles and cilantro.

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, minced
3/4 tablespoon chili powder (add more if you want more heat)
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander (substitute ground cumin for a smokier flavor)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 cups water
8 ounces (2 cups) noodles (elbow macaroni or whatever you prefer)
1 cup corn
1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chiles
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 cups shredded cheese (I used a combination of cheddar and monterey jack but you can use pepper jack or a mexican shredded cheese blend)

Directions
Heat a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef, onion, chili powder, coriander, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat or grease (the amount will depend on how lean your beef is). Stir in garlic and brown sugar and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomato sauce, water, and macaroni. Cover and cook, stirring often and keeping the heat at a steady simmer, until the macaroni is tender, about 12-12 minutes.
Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, frozen corn, green chiles and cilantro and sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese over the top. Cover and let sit off the heat until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.

7 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Oh gosh, Carrie, that looks GOOD! Perfect for a snow day, and savory is so welcomed after the run of sweets that I've over-enjoyed.

What's up with all that snow?! We don't even have that much here in NH!

Donna-FFW said...

Ive made the very same one and have enjoyed it immensely. We had 24 inches here recently. Looks like a most gorgeous neighborhood!

Anonymous said...

The chili mac looks wonderful Think I will try it today. We are still digging out, also. We live in Belton, Mo.

Julie said...

Sounds like a yummy dish. Looking out your door makes me cold!

HorseJumper12341 said...

Hmm..looks like something that might be do-able for a college student! I'll have to share this with my friends if they are up to making dinner one weekend.

Carrie said...

This looks so good! I have been following your blog for awhile, you do a great job!
Will make this tomorrow for my family, my hubby will love it... :)

kamagra said...

Christmas gifts are so cute, my best one was when my older brother gave me his remote control car, so I think that your information remember me my time in my Parent's house!22dd