Thursday, December 17, 2009

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting

Today was the last day of school and the boys each had their winter parties! I had this grand idea of making snow cupcakes with royal icing snowflakes, sparkling sugar, and white nonpareils... well the royal icing snowflakes were a disaster! I couldn't draw pretty snowflakes and when the snowflakes dried I couldn't pick them up off the waxed paper like I imagined (perhaps melted white chocolate would have worked better). So in the end I just had my sparkling sugar and nonpareils, they look a little more like wedding cupcakes than snowy winter cupcakes but the kids liked them all the same! Ingredients
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4-5 cups powdered sugar

Directions
Using an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Add the cream cheese and beat until combined. Then add the vanilla extract and 3 cups of powdered sugar and beat at low speed, occasionally stopping to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, until light and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar to arrive at the consistency and sweetness you like. I put my frosting into a pastry bag and used a Wilton 1M tip to frost my cupcakes.

**Sprinkles Tip- Sprinkle cupcakes (or cookies) over a paper plate, make sure you use a different paper plate for each type of sprinkle. Then when you're done you can fold the paper plate and pour the leftover sprinkles back into the sprinkles jar to use again!

8 comments:

ann low said...

Beautiful frosting, can share some please :)

justjoycee said...

Too beautiful to eat....lovely!

Faiza Ali said...

They look so cute and beautiful... Lovely color..I can't stop staring at them :)

teresa said...

what gorgeous cuppy cakes! happy holidays!

Katy ~ said...

I think your cupcakes are beautiful!

I tried making royal icing snowflakes for a cake one year and it was disastrous. One tip, though, if you want to try it again, is print out snowflake shapes on a sheet of paper, put it under the waxed paper and trace over them.

After that I can't help you. The snowflakes turned out pretty enough but I forgot I couldn't wrap a flat surface on a round cake!! LOL

Donna-FFW said...

Sounds like a most delicious frosting. Beautifully decorated.

Amy said...

They remind me of a Tiffany gift box.

HoosierHomemade said...

I'm coming over from a search I did for winter cupcakes on google images. I thought you might be interested in my Cupcake Chronicles Newsletter. I shared a video today with how to make the meringue snowflakes.
Your frosting is gorgeous!
~Liz
http://hoosierhomemade.com/cupcake-chronicles-newsletter/