Thursday, January 8, 2009

Easy Buttercream Frosting

My friend Colleen got married yesterday (congratulations Colleen and Mark!!) so today was the perfect opportunity to try out my new cupcake courier! I got it for Christmas and it is one of the greatest inventions ever! Seriously, I’ve always struggled to travel with cupcakes! I can remember carrying in Andrew’s cupcake birthday treats in 4 cereal boxes! The cupcake courier is just awesome, it held all 36 cupcakes perfectly! Next up I want to get a set of individual cupcake holders to send in the boys lunches, how cute would that be!
Don’t let my excitement for my cupcake courier distract you from this frosting. It is easily my favorite frosting and dangerously delicious! I made the frosting and iced the cupcakes last night but it was just as yummy today as it was yesterday unlike the disappointing Marshmallow Frosting (which was only good for a couple hours). The cupcakes were just Duncan Hines White Cake, and the cake and icing went perfectly together!

Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (room temperature)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 pound powdered sugar
1-3 teaspoons milk

Directions
Using a mixer, cream softened butter and vanilla until smooth. Add sugar gradually, allowing butter and sugar to cream together before adding more. If you want your frosting a little creamier, add a teaspoon of milk at a time and beat on high until you get the right texture. Then, just use icing colors to tint the frosting the color of your choice. This is just enough for a 2-layer cake (or 24 cupcakes). I had to double it for my 36 cupcakes.

9 comments:

Kel Baking Life said...

HI Carrie,
I got your comment on my cheesecake and let me tell you, I think your cheesecake with different colors are so much better...I love all the colors and everything...Hopefully we will become good baking friends. talk to you soon

Amber said...

I have the courier too! Where do you store yours? Man that thing is big eh?

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie, Tried your recipe for
buttercream frosting, easy and tasty.
My partner couldn't believe I made it
from scratch. It was our 10th. anniversary and I wanted it to be special. Thanks so much.
Larry

Carol said...

What kind of butter did you use for this icing?? I love the color of it and have been looking for a good buttercream recipe.

Carrie said...

Carol, I used salted land-o-lakes butter (except I always buy the off brand of land-o-lakes, whatever that is at your store).
Happy baking!!
Carrie

Anonymous said...

I looking for a new buttercream frosting. I usually use a recipe similar to the one Dawn's buttercream recipe. How does this one compare? What about the milk does that cause a problem with refridgeration?

Carrie said...

Anonymous, this is a good frosting but it isn't at all like Dawn's Buttercream. This frosting is more dense and buttery tasting. I'd say it could be at room temperature for around 8 hours but then it needs to be refrigerated.

My favorite frosting is actually my Buttercream Frosting http://cookingwithcarrie.blogspot.com/2009/12/buttercream-frosting.html
it is very easy and fluffy!

Both frostings melt in your mouth though... so pick based on whether you want a fluffy or dense frosting ,-)

un sex shop said...

It cannot really have success, I suppose so.

Noah liam said...

This is the first time I was able to read an article on this topic without being bored. Thanks for keeping my interest and attention. Individual Cupcake Boxes